In 1836, Joseph Smith Jr. dedicated the Kirtland Temple, the first temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
In 1830, Joseph Smith Jr. officially started The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He had translated and printed the Book of Mormon and started missionary work. Shortly after this, the Lord commanded Smith to build a temple in Kirtland, Ohio. The group struggled with finances but eventually completed the temple, called the Lord’s house.
Despite all the work and money put into this building, the group did not stick around. Mobs eventually drove members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints away from Ohio, and their temple, only two years after its completion. Today the Community of Christ owns the building and offers tours.